PROJETO UERÊ is a refuge for children from the community Baixa do Sapateiro, part of the Complexo da Maré. The project attends 35 % of the children from this community.
At UERÊ, they eat, play, study, and build self-confidence. Every day a child spends at UERÊ their knowledge is enhanced with improved chances to complete the school and to enter the labor market.
We work every day to:
- Promote social inclusion
- Increase school years, with emphasis on future professional life
- Encourage confidence and self-esteem
- Help children understand the social injustice that victimizes them
- Guide them towards becoming responsible citizens
- Prepare our youngsters to compete in an increasingly demanding labor market
- Prove children and youngsters that education is the only road out of povery.